glut:ton:y


glut:ton:y (n): the act or practice of eating to excess

November 15, 2012

nuts about you

With a little one on board, I know I need to consciously eat healthier, but healthy foods aren't always the tastiest foods. Instead of eating honey roasted cashews, I know I should really be eating raw cashews - the sugar content in those cashews aren't exactly that great for my blood sugar levels, but my argument is that honey is good for you - isn't it??

So I bought a small packet of raw almonds the other day in the attempt to snack "healthy" but couldn't bring myself to eat those bland little things. Instead, I remembered back to when my sister once made spiced nuts for a cocktail party she threw. This is my version of spiced nuts as I can't for the life of me remember what she stuck in hers, but they did taste good...

You can use any nut really for this mixture or if you can't decide, then try using a host of various nuts like pistachio, walnuts, hazelnuts etc. I prefer almonds in most cases.

You can store these nuts for a few days in an air tight container, but mine never really last past the day they are made. 


spiced almonds
created: 15 November 2012

[ingredients]:

  • 1 egg white
  • 150g of raw or blanched almonds
  • 1/4 tsp of paprika
  • 1/2 tsp of chilli powder (if you prefer them spicier, you could probably add another 1/4 tsp more)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • pinch of sea salt

[method]: 

  • preheat oven to 160C degrees (fan forced)
  • line a baking tray with baking paper
  • whisk the egg white until foamy
  • add the paprika, chilli powder and cumin and mix well
  • add the almonds and ensure each nut is well coated 
  • there should not be any residual egg white, however if there is, drain away the excess egg white
  • spread the nut mixture onto baking tray and sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the nuts
  • bake at 160C degrees for 10 minutes
  • take the nuts out after 10 minutes and toss well to break up the nuts (if stuck together)
  • place it back in the oven with grill function at 160C degrees for another 10 minutes (watch them closely in case your oven is not accurate and they end up burning!)
  • allow to cool completely on a wire rack (nuts will crisp up once completely cooled)


No comments:

Post a Comment