Mr GluttonousGoat really did it this time and now I'm up the duff! Exciting times ahead as we are really looking forward to welcoming the new addition in spring (autumn if you are down under) next year. In the meantime, its been weeks of nausea and lack of appetite. I'm totally turned off meat and am seriously afraid it may become a permanent fixture after I have LittleGluttonousGoat. So you see, my reasons for being M.I.A are well and truly justified. I have lost my appetite and the list of food items that you CANNOT eat whilst pregnant is almost as long as The Great Wall of China - enough said.
Anyways, friends have asked if I have been craving anything of sorts now that I am expecting. Surprisingly, I have not, except that I now have an unhealthy (or healthy as the case may be) addiction to fresh fruit. I can eat the stuff by the bucketload and right now I'm going through a pomelo phase. I can eat one a day and luckily for me, my local supermarket stocks the stuff along with a whole host of other fruits I enjoy. Mr GluttonousGoat knows that he needs to feed me fruit every night, otherwise I get extremely cranky and remind him that he is the reason why I need my daily dose of vitamin C - ladies, the guilt trip really does work!
Enough about fruit...as I have now become a part-time vegetarian by default, I've become a bit lazy in the cooking department as well. I've also had to think about more veggie friendly recipes for lunch/dinner to cater to my new appetite.
Fried radish cake is an old childhood favourite of mine. I've never made it, but am well versed with eating tons of it - my mother especially, makes a very good one with dried shrimp and chinese sausage but I chose to make a vegetarian version one night, sans meat/seafood. You can have a "white" version or a "black" version and both are equally popular as a breakfast food in Singapore and Malaysia. I personally prefer the black version which is just simply the white version with the addition of thick sweet sauce.
| raw radish mixture |
| steamed radish cake |
| the finished product - yum! |
This dish is comprised of two steps - 1. making the steamed radish cake and 2. frying the radish cake. Ideally, you should try to prepare the radish cake a day in advance or early in the morning you wish to fry it as it will need time to cool down and set.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
fried radish cake (black)
(adapted from a recipe found on rasamalaysia)
created: 30 October 2012
making the steamed radish cake
[ingredients]:
- 1 large white radish (daikon/mooli) approx. 700-800grams, grated
- 75ml of water (for steaming the radish)
- 200g of rice flour
- 250ml water (for the rice flour mixture)
- pinch of salt
[method]:
- Place the grated radish in a pyrex dish about 20cm in length along with 75ml of water and steam on medium to high heat for approximately 30 minutes or until the radish has cooked through
- Combine the rice flour, salt and 250ml of water using a whisk to ensure there are no lumps. Set aside
- Allow the steamed grated radish to cool before adding the flour/water mixture into the pyrex dish and gently stir to evenly distribute the mixture. The consistency should be as per picture 1 above.
- On a medium to high heat, steam the radish cake mixture for around 45minutes and allow to cool for several hours or overnight. It should be firm to the touch when fully cool and set.
frying the radish cake
[ingredients]:
- half a portion of the steamed radish cake (cubed into small 2cm pieces)
- 1-2 tbsps of chai poh (preserved turnip)
- 3 tbsps of vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs or 3 small ones (lightly beaten)
- 2 tbsps of fish sauce
- 2-3 cloves of crushed/minced garlice
- 2 tbsps of thick sweet sauce
- pinch of white pepper
- 2 stalks of chopped spring onions
- chilli sauce (optional and to taste)
- coriander leaves (optional and for garnishing)
[method]:
- Cut up half a portion of radish cake (prepared earlier) into 2cm cubes. The smaller the better as it means the outer edges will crisp up during the initial frying process
- Heat up the vegetable oil on medium to high heat and add the radish cake to the pan and fry until the edges and surfaces start to brown and crisp up
- Add the garlic and preserved turnip to the pan and keep frying until golden brown
- Add the fish sauce, pepper and thick sweet sauce and gently fry until all pieces are coated. At this stage, you can also add the chilli sauce for heat if you wish
- Add the eggs and allow the eggs to lightly set before flipping to cook the other sides
- Finally, add the spring onions just before cooking finishes and garnish with coriander leaves (optional)
serves: 2-3
YUM YUM....I want...!
ReplyDelete