On this particular day, I needed to satisfy a craving for pecan pie. A typical American classic introduced by the French after they settled in New Orleans back in the hey-days, this pie/dessert is usually eaten around Thanksgiving or Christmas time.
It's neither Thanksgiving nor Christmas here in Prague, nor am I American, but I went ahead and made one anyways. In my opinion, food should not have any cultural boundaries.
The traditional pecan pie is made from corn syrup, but I made mine with maple syrup. A couple months back, I purchased a bottle of 'Grade C' maple syrup from my local supermarket and it was finally put to good use. I'm not exactly sure what 'Grade C' maple syrup means (I've only ever heard of Grade A or B), but it probably means 'not fit for human consumption'. Either way, the maple syrup served its purpose that day. I wasn't about to gallivant around the whole of Prague trying to find corn syrup!
I used the recipe from Mary Berry's Baking Bible and some things went awry. Instead of having 1 big pie, I ended up with 4 smaller pies. My short crust pastry was not very pliable, so when I started rolling out the pastry, it cracked and did not roll out into the perfect circle I was hoping for. So I improvised and made 4 little circles instead. After cutting out the 4th circle, I got tired and ditched the rest of the pastry.
| mini pecan pie |
Anyways, if you would like the recipe, please email me. Hopefully you'll have more luck than I did making 1 big pie (rather than 4 little ones). It did taste really good though and personally, I preferred the smaller pies as they were easier to navigate around the mouth.
No comments:
Post a Comment