It's no secret that the Czechs are the highest consumers of beer on this planet (according to data collated in 2010) even knocking out super drinkers such as the Irish and Germans. When you enter any supermarket in the Czech Republic, there are aisles and aisles of alcoholic beverages that will literally make your head spin. The choices for beer are endless. I think if I had to stand there and count the number of beer offerings, I will be there til next week. I kid you not.
I've begun my count down til D-DAY - 26 days if he is on time. If not, then its anyone's guess. One of my greatest concern as a would be mum (and I'm sure a lot of mums out there have shared my sleepless nights) is whether my body will produce enough food for the little nugget. I've been told by my midwife and my landlord (who also happens to be a GP) that many Czech women drink beer to increase their milk supply (tune out now if this grosses you out!) Apparently the polysaccharide in the barley used to produce beer stimulates prolactin which helps mums make more milk!
I've never been a huge fan of beer until I moved to Prague. I guess I've been exposed to the over marketed and over commercialised big name beers (we all know the ones so I won't name names) and never thought much of them. Once you've tasted the beer here, you can't really go back to the watered down crap that you find in most places across the world. I also find that the check out chicks tend to crack a small smile if they see beer in your shopping basket (and we all know how surly they can be!). You aren't really Czech unless you have beer for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
This dark beer came highly recommended by my midwife. I bought a bottle and sampled some last night (some of the more righteous individuals out there are probably tsk'ing my irresponsible actions as they read this). It was only a tiny nip (ok, maybe nips) and it was super tasty (god I missed the taste of alcohol!). I will be stock-piling but making sure I leave a good 2-3 hours in between beer and feeds to make sure Bean doesn't suffer the after effects of my ill actions.
Mums out there - please rest assured that there is light after a 9 month long tunnel!

No comments:
Post a Comment