glut:ton:y


glut:ton:y (n): the act or practice of eating to excess

May 03, 2012

ms who?

Good Friday is a day observed by Christians commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. It is also a day of fasting observed by the Catholics. 
I always knew subconsciously there was a reason why I never swayed towards any form of religion - the fact of the matter is, I love my food too much to give it up - even if it is just for one day.

Along with my non-religious friends, we meandered along to Ms G's down at Potts Point. The sun was out and the temperatures creeping towards the mid twenties. I could not think of a better way to celebrate a religious day by consuming copious amounts of food and alcohol.

Ms G's is yet another success story which forms part of the Merivale Group's ever expanding repertoire. Headed by Dan Hong and Jowett Yu whom were both chefs at the now closed (and ex Merivale) Lotus Restaurant, the reviews scream of promise. I never got to try Lotus - possibly because the critics were never that kind to it and truth be told, there were always many more restaurants in Sydney I wanted to try over Lotus.

Due to the size of our group (10) our server gently suggested that we opt for the banquet menu. Some of us were also quite hungover from the night before (you know who you are!) and thought the banquet menu was an easy option which took the complexity out of actually thinking about what to eat.

Thankfully the restaurant was barely full that day (maybe everyone was observing a day of fasting) so the food was coming at us in a constant stream. At $80 per head including drinks, 12 courses, service and public holiday surcharge (grrr!) we were rightly stuffed and almost had to be rolled out. I definitely would be returning when we eventually move back to Sydney. I always had a soft spot for Potts Point (it houses a couple of our favourite brunching haunts) and its location smack bang on Victoria Street means I can brunch as well as lunch...happy days indeed.

good morning vietnam: shochu, raspberries, 

lime, palm sugar, vietnamese mint,  soda
mini banh mi - crisp pork belly
grilled corn on cob, lime & parmesan
buddha's delight: textural vegetarian salad
sea scallop, kohlrabi, guacamole, lime
prawn toast, yuzu aioli, herbs
fried baby chicken, kimchi mayonnaise
egg noodles with xo sauce, braised duck, soft poached egg
steamed barramundi with enoki, ginger nage
vietnamese curry of wagyu beef shin served with baguette
stoner's delight v2.0: doughnut ice-cream, peanut butter,
raspberry jam, candied bacon, potato chips, mars bar slice,
banana fritter
passionfruit custard with chocolate and coconut

ms g's
155 victoria street, potts points, nsw, 2011
tel: +61 2 8313 1000
http://merivale.com.au/msgs/

No comments:

Post a Comment