Nowadays, I plan our holidays based on a list of must 'eats'.
When we finally booked our trip to Turkey in July this year, I started researching all the sights we had to do but more importantly all the things we had to eat. As we only had a short amount of time in the country, I wanted to make sure we ate everything and missed nothing.
![]() |
| turkish coffee & tea |
The Turkish love their food and it's not hard to see why. Some of the food we ate along the way were abit "adventurous" and you really need to go in with an open mind (and mouth) to truly experience all that is offered.
![]() |
| our breakfast consisted of simit (turkish bagel) and cheese |
We ate a lot on our trip to Turkey. But then we usually eat a lot regardless of where we are in the world.
![]() |
| assortment of baklava |

![]() |
| kokorec - sweetbreads wrapped in lambs intestines |
If you are short on time in Turkey but want to immerse yourself in the local food culture that Turkey has to offer, I would definitely recommend our walking culinary tour with Istanbul Eats.
Angelis Nannos, our guide (native Greek) and fellow food aficionado was so passionate about his adoptive city and its food offerings that it's hard not to fall in love with all things Turkish.
| some turkish dates |
| red lentil soup |
![]() |
| turkish pide which I had a hand in making |
![]() |
| sebzeli doner kebab from bereket - supremely tasty |
![]() |
| boza (fermented millet) topped with roasted chick peas |
![]() |
| lunch @ siirt seref buryan - entrees |
![]() |
| lunch @ siirt seref buryan - mains |
![]() |
| lunch @ siirt seref buryan - desserts. the last dessert on the right was actually made from very finely shredded chicken breast! |
The 'culinary secrets of the old city' tour lasted around 6 hours, cost USD125, but the memories were priceless.
Oh and did I mention we also made it in the Washington Post?! Have a look at the article here.











No comments:
Post a Comment